The Conway Stewart 93

IMGP2967

I’ve been trying to get my hands on one of these herringbone Conway Stewarts for years, but I always got outbid.  Until this week, that is.  Not only did I get a herringbone, I got a RED one, and one of the least common models too.

It’s not often I select a pen purely for its looks but I admit that’s what I did this time.  That being the case, there’s not much point in me getting into my usual discussion of the pen’s good and bad points as a writing instrument.  I’ve put a new sac in it; I have no doubt that it writes, probably very well, but when it comes down to it, this is a pen for looking at.  So let’s do that.

IMGP2969

IMGP2972

IMGP2974In conclusion, this was an expensive pen.  If not the most expensive I’ve bought, close to it.  How did it arrive?  In a padded bag with a single turn of re-used bubble-wrap!

14 Responses to The Conway Stewart 93

1. Ray says:

Hi Deb,
    How could any sensible person send such a beautiful,and as you say,expensive
    pen through the post in such flimsy wrapping is beyond belief!
    Must have been an idiot!
    By the way, brilliant blog and sales site.

2. OldGreyBeard says:

I’ve just seen a green herringbone Conway Stewart 93 no.4 nib, three bands in an auction (not online) with the original box and instructions and with the paper label still on the pen. It looks basically unused. It is so beautiful I had to leave a bid but I doubt I’ll get it.

• The green ones seem to be not at all common and they are very beautiful. Good luck! I hope you get it.

• OldGreyBeard says:

I didn’t get it. It went for £100 + commission + VAT. I was the under bidder so obviously someone else knew what it was. Pity but there’ll be something else along before long I’m sure and I do go to the auctions regularly.

• Herringbone pens won’t go for much less, I’m afraid. Still you might get lucky and find one cheaper. Good luck with your search.

3. OldGreyBeard says:

I could have got lucky as it was the only fountain pen in the entire auction. The drawback was how could I have used it? I’ll look out for a BOX MISC with pens in next time.

4. Mario says:

I won one of these today (red Herringbone), I left a commission bid with a local Auction and it didn’t go to my maximum bid, quite a bit short in fact,which was brilliant. I am taking a bit of a risk not having handled it, but it looks nice in the photos and the box looks pristine (which is always a good sign)

5. Mario says:

It arrived Christmas Eve, finally …only after I rang the auction house and they apologised profusely as it was still sitting in the office awaiting posting.The overall condition of the pen is beautiful, the only problem was that the sac had petrified and stuck to the barrel. With a good soak and gentle heat the pieces came away, but so did the pressure bar. I have plenty of spare sacs,but I’ve now got to work out how the bar fits, I was expecting a J-bar, but it has a ‘floating bar’ (I think that’s what they’re called) …. let’s see what Google can find for me.
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

• These bars are a little fiddly to fit but they are well worth the extra effort as they are much more efficient than the j-bar. If you look inside the barrel you will see that there are two hooks on the bottom of the lever. If you look at the bar you will see that the edges are turned in and can be slid over those hooks. If you tilt the lever to about 30° and hold the bar with needle nosed pliers, you should be able to slide it on relatively easily. I say “relatively” because this is one of the more irritating repairs and it usually takes several tries to succeed. You will note that there are two raised tabs on the bar and it is these that hold it in place.

6. Mario says:

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for that … as it turned out I put out a plea for help on the FPN as initially I got some very unclear info when Googling it.

The advice received was very similar to yours, which even I managed to follow with ease, and now the pen is up and running. I’ve posted pics on the FPN.

Thanks again ….. and I do love dipping into your Blogs!

7. OldGreyBeard says:

Well I finally won a truly beautiful blue herringbone CS58 and CS33 Set 39 at a local auction. It was in a box of other bits & pieces. The set looks in mint and probably un-inked condition. The sac will need replacing but do you use such a pen?