Osmiroid 75

IMGP0007

I wrote about the Osmiroid 75 back in February 2011.  You’ll find it here: http://wp.me/s17T6K-osmiroid.  To reiterate some of what I said then, the 75 is the best Osmiroid.  It has an excellent piston filling system and the plastic is rather better than that of the 65.  Generally there is less shrinkage with the result that these pens still cap well and the cap rings are usually in place.  They are not collectable but they are much appreciated for calligraphy.
IMGP0008
This one is plain black, but that’s okay.  Nobody buys Osmiroids for their decorative quality!  It’s in very good condition and works well – what more can you say about an Osmiroid.  Well, in this case you can say that it has a couple of extra nibs in addition to the medium soft that it is photographed with.  There’s also a B2 italic, and that’s a very broad nib.  There’s also a gorgeous B3 music nib.  This one looks, at a glance, like a very broad italic but on closer examination you see the twin slits.  That’s not the only type of music nib that Osmiroid made.  I’ve seen a pointed one, with the general shape of the medium soft in the photograph.
IMGP0009
Despite the fact that they were inexpensive pens aimed at the school market I’ve always liked Osmiroids.  Part of it is for that very reason.  I have no doubt that James Perry expected to make a good profit from sales of Osmiroids, but he evidently had a genuine wish to provide school pupils with the tools to develop good handwriting – and at an affordable price.  Platignum, to its credit, did the same thing.  Yes, I have no doubt that they competed for market share, but Platignum pens were the result of good intentions too.  Platignums have not lasted as well as Osmiroids, so the used calligraphy market concentrates on the latter.
IMGP0011
Collectors and high-end sellers ignore pens like this but I think that they are something that we should at least take note of even if we do not use them ourselves.  If you had looked in a kid’s pencil case back in the 50s or 60s this, or a low end Burnham or Platignum, was what you would have found rather than the more collectable Conway Stewarts, Swans or Onotos.  They are part of our writing heritage and are admirable in their own right.

20 Responses to Osmiroid 75

1. Simon says:

There is one nice and colourful Osmiroid in a mainly pinkish, but multi-coloured swirl pattern.

Why are these nibs with two slits called music nibs?

• Yes, I’ve had one of those. Very colourful, but still not bought for its appearance, I should think. These nibs are intended for musical notation, hence the exceptionally broad nib that requires two slits to supply it with ink. If you think of a semi-quaver, it has a very slender vertical which the music nib would draw using the nib in a vertical alignment. The solid oval base would be drawn with the nib in a horizontal alignment.

• Roger Usherwood says:

I am trying to locate some Osmiroid 75 ink, can you help?

• Hi Roger,

As the Osmiroid 75 is a piston filler I assume you’re looking for bottled ink. The only specifically Osmiroid ink I can see in a bottle is India ink which you can find on eBay but it’s very expensive because of its rarity, £7.99 for 18 mL. Frankly, I am unaware of Osmiroid as a producer of ink except in cartridges for its later models.

2. Rae says:

True, Osmiroid calligraphy sets are very nice to this day.

3. Peter says:

That was my ‘right of passage ‘ pen! Osmiroid must have had a promotional agreement with junior schools (mine, at least). We provided an example of our writing and they picked the ‘correct’ nib for us. It cost just over £1 when school pens could be bought for 3/6 circa 1965. A lot of money when my pocket money was just a shilling a week.

Anyway, it was RAF blue and had a medium or fine nib and I didn’t get on with it. After a while it dissapeared and was replaced by a succession of Platignums (also RAF blueish) with italic nibs, most of which (attrition was high in those days, especially for caps) I still have.

• That does sound like Osmiroid had the sort of relationship with teachers that pharmaceutical companies have with GPs…

My husband (who is a bit older than me) says he lost a lot of fountain pens, and the ones he didn’t lose he broke.

4. Stephen Sanders says:

Just recently picked up a couple of 75s. They do feel like a cheap(er) pen, but are leagues better than the other Osmiroid I have, one of their final c/c pens from a Caligraphy set.

Nibs are amazing, and I love the Fine Straight/Italic. Tempted to pick up an Esterbrook J to put the Osmiroid nibs into

5. Mia Braine says:

I became interested in calligraphy as a teenager and in 1991 my Dad bought me an Osmiroid calligraphy set. I loved it but once I left home I found other interests. Recently I decided to take it up again and decided to buy myself a new calligraphy set. When it arrived I was all excited but couldn’t get the ink to flow, and once it flowed it didn’t flow steady. Very frustrating. I decided to retrieve my now 25 year old Osmiroid set, rinsed the nibs and put a new cartridge in and within 30 seconds it wrote smoothly and beautifully… I am sending the new set back and continuing with the faithful Osmiroid set. What a shame it is not produced any longer.

• The Osmiroid is a very fine calligraphy pen. Though it is no longer made it has survived in great numbers and there are many pens and nibs of all styles to be found in eBay.

6. Paul Stirling says:

hello Deb. Not so sure I should be commenting re technical issues just now in view of your need to concentrate on more pressing matters – so if you think my words unimportant, just ignore me – most people do.
    One of my more serious directions re pens is collecting those related to, or intended for, shorthand use, and I’ve wedged these notes here as one of the lesser known Osmiroid purpose- made nibs was for shorthand.
    I have a 75 with a steel nib marked OSMIROID/SHORTHAND/ENGLAND, with quite small blob of an ‘iridium type’ on the point, and probably just about enough flex to make it suitable for Pitman’s ‘thick and thin’ strokes….. part of the imprint shows the letters CK. Mine is a piston filler with the visi-ink window up near the section similar to your example above – it’s possible that all 75s with the shorthand nib were identical in their filling system – but not sure.
    Having been semi-skilled in writing Pitman’s many years back, I seem to remember we wrote with pencils – for some reason we didn’t cotton on to pens, don’t know why – maybe cheapness.

But back to the shorthand Osmiriod – and all the problems that these budget pens had, and in particular the piston system, which does sometimes have a habit of drying and becoming stiff to the point of causing complete seizure. O.K. so the pen is cheap and I can unscrew the nib/feed, bin the rest, and simply find another donor pen………………. but being inquisitive I’m wondering if any contributors here have ever had success in dismantling a piston-filling 75 with renovation in mind.

The answer is probably no – since the pen is cheap most folk will bin a duff example and simply find another, but things that are put together can often be taken apart – although I suspect that plastic cement may have been used on the 75, re the section and barrel, making it impossible to disassemble the parts…………. or maybe there were factory tools that we now don’t have – which would have made removal possible from the rear end.
    I did unscrew the nib and feed, and stuffed some silicone grease and baby oil into the barrel, but obviously didn’t work, because when I used brute force to turn the rear button, the piston stayed put and the rear end button came unscrewed, but with a split sleeve.

I’m not into calligraphy so wouldn’t ordinarily collect Osmiroids – perhaps I should, but those toffee- swirl type of colours aren’t really me.
    Anyway, just some random thoughts and not to be taken too seriously. Best wishes to everyone – especially Deb.

7. Hisham says:

Found an Osmiroid 75 some months ago at a local fleamart. Came with italic fine straight nib which is so good, it is the best calligraphy pen among few that I have. I fill it with Manuscript Black calligraphy ink that has been in my hoard for some years. On high quality coated paper it produce fine sharp lines that are just so beautiful. In the spirit of sharing I make it my loaner pen which I lend to friends and friends’ kids to play with after a filling. I also make it a point of giving some high quality coated papers for them to play with. In the process I think I have converted a few kids adopt use of fountain pen users. I do wish there are more of these around where I am but sadly that is a wishful thinking. I do keep a few set of basic osmiroid calligraphy set which are cartridge filler but their nibs are not as good as the one on the single Osmiroid 75 that I have. Manuscript ones are better.

• The Osmiroid 75 and the 65 when you can get a good one are great pens. If you look in eBay you’ll find the full range of nibs for them still available.

Those Manuscript pens are rather good for the money.

Continue spreading the word!

8. Hisham Mohd Mukhtar says:

Osmiroid used to sell ink under their brand. They were sold in similar bottle as one used by Manuscript. They behaved similar too if memory serves me right. I remember liking their brown ink to write with their copperplate nib. The combo was brilliant on ‘Bacco’ paper which was available then.

9. Hisham says:

I am using Manuscript Black in my Osmiroid 75. It yields black crisp lines with a little bit of shine think. I have read somewhere that Manuscript inks are still being sold at hobby lobby in the US or something. Am not sure that it is the same as the old Manuscript ink. Worth a try.