The Savoy Pen

I note that my post of January 3 was full of good intentions.  I managed a post on the fourth, and there’s been nothing after that.  Explanation is that I’ve had the most vicious attack of arthritis, probably down to the awful weather that we’ve had.  Result was that I’ve done nothing for quite some time.  I’m a bit better now and I hope to get back into my stride again.
IMGP9894
I last wrote about Savoy pens back on 26 November 2011 – how time flies!  In that article I covered the debate about who makes Savoy pens.  I’m still of the opinion that they are made by Langs.  In every respect these pens look like Langs work to me.  The name, too, follows their usual pattern of calling pens after London street names or districts.
IMGP9891
This example has seen a bit of use, and even abuse.  You will note that the lever is bent, though it functions perfectly well.  I’m not entirely sure that the arrow clip is original – but it might be.  I think these clips were used on Langs-made Stephens pens at one time.
IMGP9892
The imprint doesn’t help much in deciding who made the pen.  It just says “Savoy British Made Made in England”.  A bit emphatic about the location of manufacture, perhaps!  This is my second coloured one, and very nice the pattern is too, in a sort of rose marble.  I’ve also had a couple of black chased ones, very like 40s Stephens.

So that’s the Savoy.  Tell me who you think made it.

13 Responses to The Savoy Pen

1. C.C. Barton says:

I have no clue about the maker, Deb. I just wanted to pop in and commiserate with you about your arthritis attack this month…OUCH! I hope it keeps going in the other direction. I’m sure your weather makes it difficult.

• Thank you. You’re very kind. We had more than a month of strong winds and rain almost every day. I have a daily exercise regime which helps to keep the arthritis at bay. The damp eventually made the arthritis so bad that I had to stop exercising which of course made matters worse. A few dry, frosty days have improved the situation to the point where I’m back doing my exercise routine again. The joints have loosened up and the endorphins get flowing and I’m much better.

• C.C. Barton says:

I’m glad you have something that works somewhat to keep it at bay when you can do them. Are your exercises more flexing or strengthening…or both? I only ask because it almost seems counter-intuitive to flex those poor sore joints. I hope you get a long spell of the drier weather so you can gain some ground on the beast.

• Yes, I suppose it is counterintuitive, but it’s what you need to do. It helps to keep those joints mobile. Depends how bad you are, of course, and I wouldn’t be doing this without advice from a physiotherapist. I have a “stepper”, a couple of 1 kg weights and one of those springs that you use to strengthen your hands. I’ve always had strong hands – motorcyclists do; you’re always flexing levers. It really annoyed me when my hands began to weaken and I was struggling to do pen repair jobs that had been very easy previously. Using the spring, particularly on my left hand, is painful but I feel the benefit.

• C.C. Barton says:

Thanks for some insight on your regimen. Fortunately mine’s not to the point of having to do what you’re doing, but I’m very glad you found something that gets it done for you!

I’m guessing you rode motorcycles for many years…were you drawn to the older, vintage ones as you seem to be with fountain pens, or did you go for the sleeker newer types? This aging thing can be difficult sometimes – for me anyway it’s not so much whether I have wrinkles or don’t or graying hair or don’t, but more about what I can’t do or do as well as I used to. I had a hip replacement three years ago and it hasn’t slowed me down a bit (love the miracles of modern medicine we get to enjoy!), but I decided to give up downhill skiing after many years…not because I was afraid of falling on my own but because I was concerned about my new joint getting creamed by some of the ubiquitous out of control skiers and boarders that dominate the slopes now.

• It was Japanese road rockets for me, with an Italian or two. My husband was much more into rebuilding old bikes.

Thing is, no two ways about it, motor cycling is dangerous. You rarely get a second chance on a motorbike. I began to think that I’d been doing this all those years, and that maybe I was coming to the last few drops in my bottle of luck. I don’t know, giving it up was a very hard decision and I’m not entirely sure that I won’t change my mind again. Commonsense says no but then I think of the miles of twisty roads around here…

• C.C. Barton says:

Road rockets eh? I have a Japanese friend who’s into those and loves to send me terrifying vidis now and then. It’s the head first aspect of them that gets me I think. Unfortunately reaction times do diminish a bit over time… I’m just sayin’

However, I do understand the temptations of those twisty roads.

2. pderl says:

If the clip is original then it’s Langs I have a National Security 222 (or the remains of one) It’s clip is identical.
    Glad you’re getting better.

3. Peter says:

Fond memories of riding the B31 from Rogart to Golspie on the back roads quite a few years ago.
    It was originally delivered there (Pittentrail?), so it was a bit of a pilgrimage. The garage was still there by the railway station and it had not so long since changed hands from the original owners. I was pointed towards an old chap who held a Velocette rally there each year.

Back to pens, yes it is Langs through and through. The only uncertainty is whether it was a Langs brand or made for someone else like the Stephens and National Security.

• The original owner of the garage was Sonny Sutherland, who was something of a mechanical genius but died young. A fine machine, the B31. I have a fondness for big singles myself. I had a Honda XBR500 and hubby had a Velocette Venom.