Where Do We Go From Here?

I expect that however long I continue to write this blog, there will always be old pens coming along that I haven’t written about before.  Less all the time, though, I’m afraid.  I’ve covered all the major manufacturers and quite a few minor ones too.  Also, I’ve written about the main models made by the various manufacturers.  Frankly, it’s becoming quite difficult to find subjects to write about.  Where do we go from here?

I’ve written about pen books, or at least quite a few of them.  Given the cost, it’s unlikely that I’ll be buying many more.  Anyway, not all that many publications that deal with our subject come out in a decade , never mind a year.  I’ve discussed some of the issues that surround our hobby but it’s not every day that something newsworthy comes up.

I have, I am happy to say, a large and varied readership.  I would be delighted to hear suggestions from any of you and I’ll be happy to take them up if I can.  The blog is a two-way street and it never would have lasted this long (since October 2010!) without feedback.  Your input has been invaluable and it could help to rejuvenate the blog.

There are parameters within which I must work.  My knowledge and interest lies with pre-1970 British pens.  I can dabble a little in American pens and I like European pens, though I know very little about them.  Modern pens hold no interest  for me.  Also, it would be pointless for me to cover subjects that have been comprehensively covered by other authors.  Beyond that, the sky’s the limit!

10 Responses to Where Do We Go From Here?

1. Stuart says:

One question that perplexes me that would likely be within your realm of expertise regards the pens by Conway Stewart. I wonder just what is the REAL difference between the various models? I understand that like car manufacturers, the pen company is pressure-bound to come up with ever newer “improved” models in order to maintain their competitive position within the industry. But what REALLY is the difference between a #27 and a #28? Is it just a slight variation of length of the barrel or the cap? Is there a double cap band instead of a triple band? Is the lever a bit lower or higher on the barrel? For me, these are not really differences. There ought to be something more SIGNIFICANT to qualify as a GENUINE difference between the various models. But is this really the case. I am not restricting my question to just the models 27 and 28, of course. I am referring to all the various models over the years in this one company. I would grant that going from hard rubber to celluloid to casein represent significant changes in the pens – or going from lever filler to button filler to piston filler or clip to ring-top but is there anything else ? The same question would apply to the other companies as well…

Stuart (scratching my head across the pond)

2. Rard Changizi says:

Hi Deb,
    With your skills and detective instinct, what about having a look at the people behind the brand? The families involved? There are several distinct families that I can think of Stephens, Wade, McCauley and undoubtedly many more. Who were these people where did they come from and what made them pen designers,

• This is a difficult one, Rard. For a start, I think this is more a subject for a book or at least a lengthy article rather than a blog. The amount of research that would be required is well beyond my limited spare time. The only source for this material that I have is Stephen Hull’s book on the industry and I can’t very well plagiarise that. Anything more would have to come from primary research and that’s well beyond what I can or would do for the blog. You, yourself, are the best person to do this research and put it together in book form.

3. Stuart says:

I’m too new to vintage British pens to have specific burning questions to put to you. I don’t yet know enough to need to know more. So every blog entry is a little bit of education, a tid bit of the world of good writers pens.
    Yet I find myself visiting daily because it’s just interesting.

I hear that fountain pens are enjoying a resurgence and I’d be interested to know how and if that impacts you. Presumably as long as you’re restoring pens you’ll always have something to say about the work you’re doing.

Regardless of the direction you take, we’ll keep reading

Stuart (south of the boarder, but not across the pond)

You know Deb. There always seems to be a pressure to produce when writing a blog. For myself I can say that i am always interested in your thoughts and when you have something to say I listen. Having written a blog myself I know how it feels like you are just repeating yourself but much like the fact that I still keep getting surprised by this hobby I suspect that you will as well. So write about what surprises you. It doesn’t have to be mega output but I guarantee that thos of us who frequent here will always be interested in what comes up.

Philip

• Hi Philip,
      I’ve got a lot of ideas from my readers. I don’t think I’ll be short of subjects to pursue for a while, and of course there’s always an odd pen turning up that needs to be written about.

5. David says:

I’m a new lurker here, so I can’t really speak much to the history of this lovely site yet. But I’ll take a stab at some suggestions…

1. More about British pens please; but only once in a while so as not to bore those already in the know.

2. I love restoration pictures and stories, especially before and after pics with all the gory bits in the middle when something of interest turns up. It is so nice to see what’s possible when it comes to resurrection of the dead and forgotten.

3. Invite guest posters. Not everyone has the content or inkling to run a Blog. But many have interesting things that they’d like to post about from time to time. The varying content ads richness and lessens your load while giving select others a way to air their findings.

3. Ask us questions. A rich set of answers in the comments can be as good (if not better) than a new stand-alone post.

Best Regards, David in Jakarta

• Interesting ideas there, David and I should be able to follow up on some of them at least. I rather like the “operating theatre” series of photos myself, taking a pen from scruffy to restored.

6. Peter and Didi Watson, Washington, D.C says:

Hi Deb … have dug out, and come up for air .. please accept all blessings and best wishes to you
    both for 2014. To find your blog up, with its quiet spirit conveying its warm and sure continuity, is so reassuring and comforting. All (non-hurried) best to Eric, please …I have a good feeling that this year will be the one! much love, Peter and Didi