Montblanc Noblesse Slimline

IMGP1547 IMGP1548

I didn’t expect that I would ever be featuring a Montblanc here but this one came my way and here it is.  It’s not a Meisterstück, to be sure, but it’s a solid pen and I bet it didn’t come cheap.  They never do.  It dates to the seventies, I think, when these very slim pens were popular.  It’s a cartridge/converter and it suffers from the same problem that afflicts all c/c pens: there are no interesting gubbins inside to tell you about.  Once you’ve said it’s a cartridge/converter you’re left struggling in vain for something new and original to say that doesn’t apply to all the other cartridge/converters.  It snaps shut with a positive and rather impressive click.  It has a bird-splat on each end so that your work colleague will know that you have a Montblanc.

IMGP1552

And it writes well with a consistent medium line.  That’s about it.  Oh, and it doesn’t post.  I expect that’s a feature.

IMGP1555

By the way, she said proudly, this is not my only Montblanc.  I have a shiny black piston filler in my parts box with a cracked cap and no nib.

17 Responses to Montblanc Noblesse Slimline

1. AndyT says:

What an entertaining post: I’ve filed away your “bird-splat” comment in my mental filing cabinet for use at a later date.

2. Claire says:

It’s got an odd nib, hasn’t it. It seems strangely long. Or is it an aberration of the photo?
    If it were a more traditional nib you could switch it into the piston filler.

• It’s probably slightly distorted as I took the nib photo along the barrel. It’s one of those flat-topped nibs that everybody seemed to have version of in the sixties and seventies. It’s a surprisingly good writer I didn’t really expect it to be, having been disappointed by other manufacturer’s offerings of that shape of nib.

3. Duncan says:

Is there a club people can join to share their disinterest in white mountain pens?

4. Joe Mesaros says:

What is wrong with “White mountain pens”? I would like to know? -Joe

• Hi Joe,
      I don’t know, having handled only two. For the most part, they’re outside my frame of reference.

• Sean says:

“White Mountain” pens tend to belong to certain community of pen enthusiasts who enjoy the prestige of the name rather than the quality of what they are using. I read recently that the materials have been down-graded over the years…

• The “precious resin” ones are rather fragile by all accounts.

• AndyT says:

I haven’t heard anything about the materials, but from what I’ve been able to gather Montblanc hit a purple patch with their nibs in the 1950s but more recent examples are stiffer and less fastidiously shaped. Of course that story is a familiar one which applies equally to some other manufacturers.

5. AndyT says:

No antipathy towards MB from me either Joe, but if I was looking for a pen at the price point they usually occupy it would most likely be an early Waterman which is much more in my area of interest. I still think Deb’s original post was very witty and entertaining.

• Some people admire Montblancs for a variety of reasons. Others find that whole “prestige at a price” thing to be a case of “the Emperor’s new clothes”, whether it be pens, cars or MacMansions. You are what you are and an expensive pen’s not going to change that. I think you gain prestige from what you actually do, and it makes no difference whether you do it with a Montblanc or a Bic.

• AndyT says:

I didn’t want to be quite that blunt, but it’s true there’s still a strong association with the yuppie era and conspicuous consumption. I’m particularly embittered because I expended a good deal of time and effort doing crossword competitions in the 1980s in a vain attempt to get my hands on a Meisterstück.

Times have changed and Montblanc are probably not the worst offenders when it comes to selling perfectly decent pens at indecent prices. What doesn’t seem to have changed is that modern nibs can’t hold a candle to those found on fairly ordinary pens from the first half of the 20th century.

• I agree with all that you say, particularly that Montblanc are no longer the worst offenders by a long chalk.

6. PDW says:

I’ve just biought this pen 🙂

A very nice writer with Diamine Damson – just a little feedback from the paper, well poised between scratchiness and that friction-free slickness others love but which I find annoying in an FP. Perhaps a little too wet, as the ink shows no shading on copy paper, so I might try a drier ink next time.

• Cartridge/converter pens don’t need the extensive testing that rebuilt sac-fillers do, but I do remember trying this one out and thinking that it had a really pleasant nib. Good pen to use with red ink, because if anything is going to stain it’ll be the converter and you can always get another one of those, I assume.